At Atelier Romy, we only use 925 Sterling Silver. This is indicated on each of our pieces with a 925 Stamp and represents the purity of the 92.5% pure silver material we use. The remaining 7.5% is made out of other metals such as copper, nickel or zinc (depending on the piece) to make the material more durable and wear-able. Our sterling silver is 92.5% and 7.5% copper, which ensures each piece is nickel free and won’t cause allergic reactions.

Each piece is then rhodium plated (see Rhodium Plating vs Gold Plating), gold or rose gold plated to prevent the process of tarnishing. As much as we love and are proud of our 925 stamp, you will usually find it hidden so as not to distract from our design and aesthetic.

AG stands for Argentum and is the chemical element and symbol for pure Silver. In the periodic table it has the atomic number 47 and melts at 961.78C. In the 925 AG version it will melt at a lower point of 893C. It is a soft, white, lustrous transition metal and it exhibits the highest electrical conductivity and has the highest reflection of any metal. Therefore, it is the only metal which you can highly polish to have that mirror-like finish. Even when you melt it, it will have a mirror-like shine on the surface of the red-liquid hot metal.

If you have any questions about our materials or processes, don’t hesitate to email us. We are passionate about being transparent and informative, wherever we can be!

Hermione & Sabine x